Albany Online Program at a Glance
As a program of the Greater Albany Public School District, Albany Online uses K¹²/STRIDE curriculum to offer students in grades K-12 an exceptional learning experience. Through individualized learning approaches, Albany Online provides the tools students need to succeed—in school and beyond. You cannot enroll with Albany Online by contacting K12/STRIDE directly. Enrollments are all handled locally, through the Albany Online office staff, in order to provide the best service and accurate information for each family.
To contact Albany Online, call 541-967-4607.
Here’s why families have chosen Albany Online for their students:
- Exceptional, individualized K¹² curriculum. Based on decades of education research, this curriculum packages high-quality lessons with mastery-based assessments, ensuring that students achieve success at each and every level.
- Tuition-free public education that provides a rigorous curriculum and large variety of core and elective classes.
- Nationally qualified and Oregon certified teachers provide individualized tutorials and supplemental learning aids to assist students in meeting their goals.
- Convenience! Online classes are accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week from virtually any location with internet access.
- Parents and teachers work together to support student achievement. Together you will design practice opportunities and tutorial sessions that support student learning.
- Kindergarten through fifth grade students will receive online planning and assessment tools, resources and hands-on materials such as textbooks, science kits, maps, and beautifully illustrated classic children’s storybooks.
- High school students will receive courses that lead to graduation credits and are scheduled in a way that closely mirror the high school schedules.
- Albany Online high school students will earn an accredited diploma through GAPS.
- A wide variety of courses are offered, thus allowing students to advance beyond their grade level. Classes are also available to help students struggling with grade level work.
- This program allows students to create their own schedules, meeting the needs of medical and mental health issues, athletic competitions, or other situations that are difficult to address in a traditional in-person setting.
How Does It Work?
Albany Online contracts with K¹² /STRIDE, a company based out of Virginia who has been established for over 20 years. They provide courses and teachers that meet or exceed the Oregon Department of Education requirements for all classes. Learning can happen at home, on the road, or wherever an internet connection can be found. While attendance, teacher interaction, and daily lessons are conducted online, students in K-5 will have lessons that use physical materials and offline tools as well. Elementary students will also experience optional virtual group connects with peers each week , field trips, and monthly one on one meetings with a local GAPS teacher. Elementary courses are year-long courses that are completed to the mastery level.
For middle and high school students, Albany Online uses the PEAK platform. This platform offers semester long courses with all materials embedded into the virtual courses. Whether targeting a top-tier, 4-year university, a local community college, or an immediate career, Albany Online prepares students to maximize their post-high school success. Online teachers are provided for each course and resources are available for students if they find themselves struggling with a content area.
All Albany Online students must have a Learning Coach. The Learning Coach is typically a guardian, an adult relative, an academic tutor, etc. The Learning Coach is a CRUCIAL piece in the success of students taking Online classes. Learning coaches help to structure their students schedules, check on their progress and grades in each class, consult with teachers if the student is struggling, and are the contact responsible for attendance of the student.
Elementary Learning Coaches are very involved and should count on spending 3-5 hours per day assisting their K-5th grade students.
Middle School Learning Coaches will find themselves very involved at the beginning of their students enrollment. Students will need help with navigation of the platform, making their pacing guides for each class, and follow up on assignments being turned in and grades received. The online teachers provide great, extensive feedback on assignments if the student needs to re-work an assignment for a better grade. Learning Coaches are the cheerleaders and the enforcers for all aspects of the online process for their student.
High School Learning Coaches also need to be involved in getting their student started by providing a list of clear expectations for grades, progress rates, and a schedule for completing work. Weekly follow up on grades and progress is highly recommended for HS Learning Coaches.
All Learning Coaches have access to their students grades and progress through a separate account within the AOL program. Accounts update nightly. Accurate information is at your fingertips at all times. You can see log-in times, assignment submission times, grades and comments for everything your student completes.
Individualized Learning, Public School Accountability
In addition to providing individualized learning, as an online public school program, Albany Online provides the structure, administrative support, oversight, accountability, and state testing required of all public school students.
Albany Online Immunization Rates
Letter from the Leadership Team
Albany Online is a program that uses an innovative educational model to provide your child with the best online education possible. As a program within the Greater Albany Public School District, and available Statewide, our unique educational approach allows us to tailor an education that is specific to each learner.
Albany Online uses the award-winning K¹²/STRIDE curriculum, which has been developed by some of the best minds in education. This rigorous, content-rich curriculum meets or exceeds state standards across all subject areas. Students demonstrate their knowledge and skills through state standardized tests.
By enrolling in our program, you are partnering with a team of knowledgeable and experienced educators. Teachers work with you in monitoring student progress, attendance, and content mastery while providing professional insight, instruction, and support. Our administrative staff is committed to the success of every child in the program.
We are proud of our program, and we believe it is an excellent choice for families who are interested in getting actively involved in their children’s education. The parents’ role as learning coach is crucial to the success of online students.
We know that choosing the right educational setting for your child is an important decision for any parent to make. We encourage you to learn more about our program and how it may benefit your child. Our dedicated staff is here to assist you as you go through this exciting endeavor.
The Albany Online Team